I Came to Find a Girl Review

I Came to Find a Girl - Jaq Hazell

This book bothered me. It put me on edge, made me uncomfortable. I hated Flood with a passion almost instantly (though for some reason in my head he looked like Benedict Cumberbatch) and was hoping throughout the book to see him get his comeuppance, but not because I believed he was guilty of the crimes that he was convicted for. More simply because he was an asshat. He seemed too, well, pathetic to be capable of killing one girl, let alone as many as he was convicted of.

I’ve never been drugged the way Mia has, but I have been sexually assaulted. Seeing Mia struggle to cope with what happened – or didn’t happen – to her, the desperation to escape his presence, his reminders, brought back memories of things I hadn’t thought about in a long time. Jaq Hazell does a very good job with this. She doesn’t handle Mia’s trauma delicately. She tosses you directly into her psyche, and spins you around until you’re staggering when you finally stop.

When Flood died, I was angry. I won’t say why, but I think you’ll understand when you read the book.

Overall, I Came to Find a Girl is a whirlwind of anger and friendship, fear and creativity, disgust and despair spattered throughout with flashes of insight and sparks of the creative muse. It isn’t the type of book you can rave about. Its the type of book that makes you sit back, quietly unsettled, as you struggle to examine your feelings about it. So, I think in conclusion the best thing I can say about this book is: Words have power, and books like this showcase that power to a disturbing degree.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author free in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.scifiandscary.com/book-review-i-came-to-find-a-girl-by-jaq-hazell