Writer's Retweet

Writer's Retweet - Piers Anthony I was so excited to get a copy of this book to read for review. Piers Anthony has long been one of my favorite authors. I've done my best to get every book in his Xanth series, and can't wait until my daughter is old enough to enjoy the series herself. Not only do I love the author, but I thought the idea of stories told over tweets was very cool, so I wanted to see what he came up with.

Unfortunately, I think most of the magic behind these stories were in how they were told. I can definitely appreciate the talent that it takes to distil an enjoyable story down into something that can be parceled out in chunks of 140 characters or less. I can only imagine how cool it must have been for people that had been following him to receive each little tidbit one at a time and watch the story unfold. So, yeah, it was definitely something that must have been exciting to 'be a part of', but reading them after the fact takes something away.

While I did enjoy them, it wasn't because they were particularly good. They were mildly entertaining. It was more that I enjoyed them because it was a chance to read something new from one of my favorite authors. The author's habit of giving readers just enough description to get the point across, but focusing more on the characters means that there's lots of room for imagination in these tales. "Forbidden Fruit", the last story in the collection, was definitely my favorite. It's an obvious nod to Anthony's Xanth series.

Overall, it was fine execution of a great idea, and the stories are enough to make you smile. Long time fans will be happy to read the stories in Writer's Retweet. It might be a good book for people to get introduced the writer's work as well. (Though if that's the case, I'd definitely urge more attention to be paid to the last story than to the others.)

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for review consideration.