Alien Contact for Idiots

Alien Contact for Idiots - Edward Hoornaert Alien Contact for Idiots is a laughter-inducing, heart-warming, and hormone-overloading read by Edward Hoornaert. Written with a deft touch, wonderful characters, and that handling of the cheese that some authors do so well, it’s the perfect read for when you just need a bit o’ fluff, but you can’t do without your science fiction.

I actually read the second book in this series, Alien Contact for Kid Sisters, first, and loved it because even though it had all the elements I look for in my fluff books, it also had a great story of personal growth going on. So, I was definitely happy to hop backwards and read the first book in the series for review. I’m honestly kind of torn on which book I like better. I feel like I preferred the slightly more serious tone and the emphasis on the characters’ mental states more in the second one, but this one is just so cheesy fun. Though, I will say, the author foreshadows the major issue dealt with in the second book quite well.

I read it late at night, laying in bed, and at one point cracked up laughing so hard I woke my partner up. The first time, he was fine with it. The second time, however, Mr. Hoornaert earned me some serious stink-eye. I love that the characters act believably for the most part. This is one area (among many) where the author excels. There’s definitely some serious exaggeration added in at times for comedic effect, but at the root of it – you believe in the characters. They’re intelligent (or idiots), they’re good, they’re insane, etc. They are what they are, and you buy it completely.

Alien Contact for Idiots is definitely worth buying and tucking away for when you need chocolate, quiet, and a fluff read to soothe your soul and make your heart have hope for happily ever afters again.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.